Herrick Archives Number 096
A. IDENTIFICATION & LOCATION
1.1 Officially named "Stradley Hall" by Board of Trustees on September 1, 1958. In memory of Vice President Bland L. Stradley.
1.2 Alternate names noted:
Built under architect's project number 5540, which included also Park hall (104), Smith Hall (141), and expansion of the food service facilities in Maker hall (095). The name on the drawings is "11th Avenue Residence halls for Men." Stradley hall was Building No. 1 of this group.
All of the dormitories south of West 12th Avenue are frequently referred to as the "South Dorms. "
2.1 Located at 138 West 11th Avenue. See map below.
2.2 For greater detail, see Sheets 110 and 111 in the book of campus maps in the University Archives
For identification of other buildings shown, see Appendix A
3. General Description
3.1 Type of construction:
Reinforced concrete frame with brick exterior.
3.2 No. of stories:
Basement and 12 stories.
3.3 Increments of construction:
None--entire building constructed at one time.
3.4 Present area of building as shown in inventory records of Division of Campus Planning:
101, 670 sq. ft. gross
65, 758 sq. ft. net assignable
3.5 Volume of building:
1,085,251 cubic feet (PP)
B. PLANNING & CONSTRUCTION
1. On November 12, 1956 the Board of Trustees approved the plans and related documents prepared by W. E. Linch, University Architect, and authorized the solicitation of bids by contractors.
2. Bids were received on December 19, 1956 (T).
3. On January 14, 1957 the Board of Trustees awarded contracts to the following contractors:
General: Garwick & Ross, Inc.
Electrical: McCarty Bros. Electric Co.
Heating and ventilating: Huffman-Wolfe Co.
Plumbing: C. W. Davis & Sons, Inc.
The site improvement contract was awarded to Garwick & Ross on July 11, 1958.
4. Completion and occupancy:
Substantially completed and occupied January 5, 1959 (T 7/10/59) and was dedicated October 17, 1959 (T 9/7/59).
Carried in Business Office reports at $1, 836. 016. 56.
The building has been used since its opening as a dormitory for men (H).
1. In Photoarchives:
X 7670--west elevation
M 50: 15--(October 1958)--bciil,ling on left in group of three at top of page
John H. Herrick
July 3, 1073
ADDENDUM NO. I
Campus Planning records now show the net assignable area of this building as 65,696 square feet.
John H. Herrick
November 7, 1984
ADDENDUM NO. 2
This building is now carried in Campus Planning records as Bland L. Stradley Ilall. The official name
remains "Stradley Hall."
John H. Herrick
August 26, 1986
Additional Stradley Hall Addenda
ADDENDUM No. 3
Stradley Hall, according to Facilities Operation and Development, is part of the South High Rise and Renovation and Addition project. This project is a Tier One project as designated by the Ohio State University Board of Trustees as stated in the October 29, 2009 minutes. When this project will be finished there is a possibility of an address, name and university architect change.
KSA Digital Library Assistant
August 11, 2010
Photo Addendum from KSA Digital Library