Herrick Archives Number H 228
A. IDENTIFICATION & LOCATION
1.1 Building was never officially named by Board of Trustees.
1.2 Alternate names noted:
2.1 Located astride present Eighteenth Avenue just east of Nell Avenue.See map below. For indexing purposes, arbitrarily listed at 1980 Neil Avenue.
For identification of other buildings shown, see Appendix A.
The map shows two locations for this building. It is possible that there were two buildings, or perhaps the building was moved.
A 1913 map (191-17) shows the east location.
In 1915 a 1912 map was marked to show proposed utility developments (Maps 191-35 and 191-36). The west location is shown for H 228, and at the east location the H 228 outline has been erased.
A set of four maps prepared in 1912 by the University Architect and revised from time to time until the late 1920's (Maps 191-09, 191-12, 191-13, and 191-14) shows both locations; since the maps were revised through March of the 1920's, both outlines have been erased.
Two 1918 maps (191-49 and 191-50) show the building in the west location,
While it is possible that there were two buildings. It seems reasonable to assume that there was only one building, and that it was erected on the east location and moved.
3. General Description
3.1 Type of construction:
Photographs indicate a light construction, probably frame, and definitely not brick.
3.2 No. Of stories:
Photographs show one story building.
3.3 Increments of construction:
3.4 Size of building:
Approximately 32 ft. x 108 ft. as scaled on various maps (e.g., 191-50),
B. PLANNING & CONSTRUCTION
The history of this building must be inferred from maps and photographs. The only written record found is a notation in McCracken (3:108) to a Cabinet action on April 24, 1917 listing possible jobs for prison labor, and including in the list cleaning up around the coal bin and storage shed. The building appears as a completed structure on Photograph X 2728, which was taken in the autumn of 1912. H 115 could have been constructed prior to 1912, and this possibility is supported by the absence of construction debris. It seems to appear in a 1911 map (191-07), but is not designated. What seems to be H 228 on this map might be the coal pit. It does not appear on any earlier map. Note especially Map 190-24 dated August 6, 1909. Thus the best information available is that the building was erected between late 1909 and early 1912.
The building was in existence in 1917, as indicated by the Cabinet action cited above.
The building appears in a 1918 photograph (X 22781) and In two 1920 photographs (X 1001 and X 1002). It was gone by 1922, when the Stadium was under construction (X 7683 and X 7684); the appearance of the ground suggests recent removal.
Thus it would appear that the building was removed between 1920 and 1922.
1. In Photoarchives:
X 2728 (in right margin)
John H. Herrick
August 14, 1979
Photo Addendum from KSA Digital Library