Herrick Archives Number 109
A. IDENTIFICATION & LOCATION
1.1 Officially named "Smith Hall" by Board of Trustees on September 1, 1958. In memory of University Architect Howard Dwight Smith.
See Addendum No. 1
1.2 Alternate names noted:
Built under architect's project number 5540, which included also Stradley hall (096), Park Hall (104), and expansion of food service facilities in Baker Ball (095). The name on the drawings is "11th Avenue Residence Halls for Men. " Smith hall was Building No. 3 of that group.
All of the dormitories south of West 12th Avenue are frequently referred to as the "South Dorms. "
2.1 Located at 92 West 11th Avenue. See map below.
2.2 For greater detail, see Sheet 111 in the book of campus maps in the University Archives.
For identification of other buildings shown, see Appendix A.
3. General Description
3.1 Type of construction:
Reinforced concrete frame with brick exterior.
3.2 No. of stories:
Basement and 12 stories.
3.3 Increments of construction:
None--entire building constructed at one time.
3.4 Present area of building as shown in inventory records of Division of Campus Planning:
101,621 sq. ft. gross
65,361 sq. ft. net assignable
3.5 Volume of building:
1,085,251 cubic feet (PP)
B. PLANNING & CONSTRUCTION
1. On November 12, 1956 the Board of Trustees approved the plans and related documents prepared by W. E. Linch, University Architect, and authorized the solicitation of bids by contractors.
2. Bids were received on December 19, 1956 (T).
3. On January 14, 1957 the Board of Trustees awarded contracts to the following contractors:
General: Garwick & Ross, Inc.
Electrical: McCarty Bros. Electric Co.
Heating and ventilating: Huffman-Wolfe Co.
Plumbing: C. W. Davis & Sons, Inc.
The site improvement contract was awarded to Garwick & Ross on July 11, 1958.
4. Completion and occupancy:
Substantially completed June 1, 1959 (T 7/10/59). Opened at beginning of Autumn Quarter 1959 (H).
Carried in Business Office reports at $1, 836, 016. 56.
The building has been used from its opening as a dormitory for men (H).
1. In Photoarchives:
M 50: 15 (October 1958)--building on right in group of three at top of page.
John H. Herrick
May 6, 1972
ADDENDUM NO. 1
This building is now carried in Campus Planning records as Howard Dwight Smith Hall. The official name
remains "Smith Hall."
John H. Herrick
August 26, 1986
Additional Smith Hall Addenda
ADDENDUM No. 2
Smith Hall, according to Facilities Operation and Development, is part of the South High Rise and Renovation and Addition project. This project is a Tier One project as designated by the Ohio State University Board of Trustees as stated in the October 29, 2009 minutes. When this project will be finished there is a possibility of an address, name and university architect change.
KSA Digital Library Assistant
August 11, 2010
Photo Addendum from KSA Digital Library