Herrick Archives Number H 416
A. IDENTIFICATION & LOCATION
1.1 Building was never officially named by Board of Trustees.
1.2 Alternate names noted:
Radio Transmission House
Radio Broadcasting Station
2.1 Located at 240 West Nineteenth Avenue (address arbitrarily assigned for indexing purposes).
See map below.
For identification of other buildings shown, see Appendix A.
3. General Description
3.1 Type of construction:
3.2 No. of stories:
3.3 Increments of construction:
One addition. See 3.4.
3.4 Size of building:
The original building was 15' x 20', with the long axis running east and west. Photographs
X 1011 (1939), X 1030 (c 1947), and 1076 (c 1950) in Photoarchives show Building H 416 to
be T-shaped with the top of the T across the east end of the original building. The date
and size of this addition have not been determined, but the addition was somewhat smaller
than the original building,
B. PLANNING & CONSTRUCTION
1. The drawings in the University Architect's files for the remodeling of Building 019 for radio broad-
casting (Architect's Project 2547) include on Sheet No. 1 a 15' x 20' "Radio Broadcasting Station,"
While no plot plan is included, this is clearly Building H 416. The drawing is dated August 7, 1925.
Information relative to bidding and construction has not been found.
2. The Lantern on September 28, 1925 reported that two antenna towers had been erected and would soon
be ready for use. Presumably Building H 416 had to be completed before the antenna could be put into
Demolished in May, 1958 along with Buildings H 413/15. The building appears on aerial survey photos taken
for Map 195-25 in July 1957, and it had to be demolished to clear the site for Building 146, contracts for
which were awarded February 7, 1958.
1. In Photoarchives:
M 38:5 (April 1947)
John H. Herrick
July 25, 1978
Photo Addendum from KSA Digital Library