Herrick Archives Number 101
A. IDENTIFICATION & LOCATION
1.2 Alternate names noted:
All of the dormitories south of West 12th Avenue are frequently referred to as the "South Dorms".
2.1 Located at 1634 Neil Avenue. See map below.
For greater detail, see Sheet 117 in the book of campus maps in the University Archives.
For identification of other buildings shown, see Appendix A.
3. General Description
3.1 Type of construction:
Reinforced concrete frame with brick exterior.
3.2 No. of stories:
Basement and four floors.
3.3 Increments of construction:
None-- entire building constructed at one time. The south wing, however, was completed and occupied before the remainder of the building was ready for use. (L 11/4/25)
3.4 Present area of building as shown in inventory records of Division of Campus Planning:
71,742 sq. ft. gross;
44,888 sq. ft. net assignable.
3.5 Volume of building;
628,000 cubic feet (PP)
B. PLANNING & CONSTRUCTION
1. Correspondence and other documents in the W. O. Thompson and Carl E. Steeb papers in the University Archives indicate that the construction of the building was financed by a $100,000 bond issue underwritten by The Globe Bond & Mortgage Co. of Columbus. The bonds were dated August 1, 1922 and the borrower was Fred H. Olds. The sale of bonds was still in progress in September 1924, which suggests that construction had not yet started.
2. The Lantern on November 4, 1925 reported that 80 girls were already living in the finished south wing and that the building was expected to be completed by January 1926.
3. The Lantern on June 10, 1926 reported that the building would be ready for dedication sometime during the autumn quarter, and on October 6, 1926 reported that 300 girls were accommodated in the building. Since a capacity of 300 appears on Neil Hall letterheads used in letter to President Rightmire in 1927, it appears that the building was substantially completed and occupied by October 6, 1926.
4. University Board of Trustees minutes (9/ 2 1/ 28) indicate that the University entered into a 10-year lease of the building on August 10, 1928.
5. Title to the building passed to the University under a deed dated November 12, 1942 (Deed Book, Vol.
1186, page 7).
1. First listed in Business Office reports for 1942-43 at cost of $217,600.
2. Various subsequent changes brought the total to $515,957.13 in 1968-69.
1. The building has been used as a girls' dormitory since its opening (H).
2. Contracts were awarded on April 7, 1972 for converting this building to apartments.
John H. Herrick
April 19, 1972
ADDENDUM NO. 1
Campus planning records now show the net assignable area of this building as 42,737 square feet.
John H. Herrick
November 2, 1984