Herrick Archives Number H 110
A. IDENTIFICATION & LOCATION
1.1 Never officially named by Board of Trustees action.
1.2 Alternate names noted:
1.2.1 Built as Residence No. 1.
1.2.2 Known by name of occupants. The first occupant was Professor McFarland. Later occu-
pants were Professor Kellicott, the Beta Theta Pi Fraternity, and Professor Kauffman,
in that order. There may have been others not noted.
1. 2.3 The known and probable alternate names were these:
Residence No. 1
Faculty Residence No. 1
Faculty House No. 1
Beta Theta Pi House Fraternity House
The approximate location in relation to present day streets and buildings is shown in the sketch.
For identification of other buildings shown, see Appendix A.
See Addendum No. 1
3. General Description
3.1 Type of construction:
Frame interior with brick exterior (McC 1; 8A).
3. 2 No. of stories:
Basement, two stories, and attic.
3. 3 Increments of construction:
3. 4 Area of building:
4,800 square feet (McC 1: 8A).
3. 5 Volume of building:
57, 400 cubic feet (McC 1: BA).
3. 6 No. of rooms:
Sixteen (McC 1: 8A).
B. PLANNING AND CONSTRUCTION
1. On June 6, 1882 the Board of Trustees approved the plans and related documents prepared by J. T. Harris and authorized the solicitation of bids by contractors.
2. Bids were received on August 1, 1882 (T).
3. On August 1, 1882 the Board of Trustees awarded the construction contract to Robert Wood.
4. Completion and occupancy:
4. 1 Exact date of completion not determined.
4. 2 McCracken (McC 1: 8A) lists 1882 as the date of construction.
4. 3 The Board of Trustees minutes for November 14, 1882 speak of the building as "now in course of erection" and specify the first tenant.
1. On August 30, 1911 the Board of Trustees sold the building to W. D. Hamilton for demolition.
1. This was one of three faculty residences built by the University in 1882. The others were H 111 and H 112.
2. There was a barn northwest of this house (see sketch). The history of this barn has not been traced in detail, but the following information has been noted:
2.1 On March 1, 1883 the Board of Trustees discussed the matter of "building stables and other conveniences belonging to the Professors' houses" and referred the matter to the Executive Committee with power to act.
2. 2 On April 20, 1883 the Executive Committee was empowered to employ Parker & Plimmer for $534 "for the building of two stables for the professors' use ..."
2. 3 On June 16, 1884 Professor McFarland, who occupied this house (H 110), appeared before the Board of Trustees in reference to the accounts for campus improvements "and for building a stable on his lot ..." McCracken (McC 1: 72) says the barn was built at the northwest corner of the McFarland's lot.
2. 4 Available campus maps beginning with an 1886 map show this stable or barn.
2. 5 On June 13, 1893 the Board of Trustees referred to the Executive Committee the matter of removal of the "barn near the chapter house ..."
2. 6 This barn is omtted from most maps published after 1893, but does appear on a 1901 map. It is probable that the 1901 map was in error.
The contract price was $4,524 (T) and McCracken reports the same figure (McC 1: 8A)
1. In Photoarchives:
X 2770—View from north. X 2771—Probable view from west. X 2772—View from east.
X 2773—View from northwest.
John H. Herrick
August 25, 1972
ADDENDUM NO. 1
Address arbitrarily assigned for indexing purposes: 1837 North High Street - the same as Building 106.
John H. Herrick
February 17, 1976
Photo Addendum from KSA Digital Library