Herrick Archives Number H 465/67
These are three former gas houses on Ackerman Road that preceded S 34. Since records on them are sketchy, the information in this report will be sketchy and possibly in error in some details.
Building H 467 - an aerial survey (frame 3-7) taken October 26, 1946 shows a square structure east of S 34. See sketch below. The building appears to be about 15 feet square. The date of construction could not be obtained from the gas company, but the building does not appear to be On X1008 taken in 1929.
For identification of other buildings shown, see Appendix A.
Building H 466 - Temporary married student housing was erected south of this location in 1947 (H 458). Records of this project are quite fragmentary, but one drawing shows a new gas regulator house 3 feet east of the old one, and this seems to have been constructed. It shows quite clearly in numerous aerial photographs. Among the clearer views are near the left margin of Air View 242 and along the top edge of Air View 243 (both 1960). This appeara to be two buildings, but the smaller image is that of exposed gas pipes and valves.
Building H 466 appears in Air Viev 390 later in May 1965, but had been replaced by H 465 vhen Air View 429 was taken in June 1966. Thus it would appear that Building H 466 served from 1947 to sometime in 1965-66.
Building H 465 was a one story building brick building that was replaced by S 34 in 1970. Building H 465 appears near the right margin of Air View 429 and near the top of Air View 430. It was demolished during the week of June 22, 1970, according to records kept by Mr. Theodore Kauer, Expressway Coordinator for the University.<