Farm House 21
Farm House 21
Herrick Archives Building 968
A. IDENTIFICATION & LOCATION
For identification of other buildings shown, see Appendix A.
3. General Description
3. 2 No. of stories:
3. 3 Increments of construction:
3.4 Present area of building as shown in inventory records of Division of Campus Planning:
3,862 sq. ft. net assignable
3.5 In addition to the house, there are a barn and several outbuildings as shown on the sketch.
See Addendum No. 3
B. HISTORY OF THE BUILDING
1. The buildings were on the property when acquired by the University from the estate of Clara E. Coe.
2. Title to the property was transferred to the University by the executor's deeds signed July 15, 1958 (Deed Book 2113, p.582) and December 18, 1958 (Deed Book 2077, p.223). The buildings appear to be on the property transferred in July, but no final determination on this point has been made.
1. In photoarchives:
June 12, 1973
ADDENDUM NO. 1
At one time this house was occupied by Ben Snyder in Farm Operations.
February 9, 1976
In the book of campus maps in the University Archives, this number appears on both Sheets 18 and 19, rather than 18 only. The house appears on 18 and the barn and other outbuildings on 19.
August 9, 1977.
ADDENDUM NO. 3
The sketch map on the second page of this report shows two buildings south of the barn. These were removed within a year or two of the date of this report (August 9, 1977) according to Assistant Dean Harold Bauman.
At the time of removal of these two buildings, a concrete block pump house was erected east of the southeast corner of the barn. See sketch map below. This is shown in Photographs X 25019 and X 25026.
The rectangle directly north of the pump house on the sketch is the concrete foundation of a former building which remains unidentified.
Along the east side of the barn is a circle which indicates an old silo, which is no longer usable and which was on the property at the time of acquisition by the University.
The barn is no longer used and is deteriorating rapidly. See Photographs X 25019 and X 25020.
October 19, 1979
ADDENDUM NO. 4
At the present time, an effort is being made to have the barn removed. No University agency wants to provide the money for demolition and efforts to get a fire department to burn the building for practice have failed. Meanwhile, several large sections of siding on the west side have been removed by unknown persons.
See Addendums Nos. 5 & 6.
December 31, 1979
ADDENDUM NO. 5
Students, and possibly vandals, demolished the barn during the first few months of 1980, and, as of now, only a pile of rubble remains.
See Addendum No. 6
June 17, 1980
ADDENDUM NO. 6
The house at this location was demolished and the debris from the barn was removed during January and early February, 1981.
February 20, 1981
ADDENDUM NO. 7
As of now the only building remaining is the pump house. This is carried on Campus Planning records as "Pump House No.2."
Campus Planning records now show the gross area of this pump house as 64 square feet.
November 13, 1984
Photo Addendum from KSA Digital Library